dr. M. (Michelle) Camenzuli
Faculty of Science
Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences
Science Park A
Science Park 904 Room number: C2.258
1090 GD Amsterdam
New tools and methods for difficult molecular separations
Resolving complex molecular mixtures is important in virtually all areas of science: from environmental science through to forensics, biotechnology and in medical applications. However as new analytical detection methods are developed, such as mass spectrometry, we learn that mixtures are more complex than originally perceived, particularly in protein science. These analytical considerations are constantly adding new demands to separation techniques to increase proportionately.
Chromatography is a powerful separation tool that interfaces with mass spectrometry. Hence, one of the focus areas for our research is on improving the separation power of 1D and 2D chromatography that ideally interface with mass spectrometry. Our approach to innovation involves two primary aspects: 1) understanding the challenges within a specific application area and 2) using our understanding of fundamental processes underlying chromatographic separations to provide solutions to these challenges.
Within the Biomolecular Systems Analytics group, our primary application areas fall within the life sciences. However the tools and methods we develop can be applied in numerous applications where powerful separations are required.
- M. Camenzuli, P.J. Schoenmakers, A new measure for orthogonality in multi-dimensional chromatography, Anal. Chim. Acta, 838 (2014) 93
- M.Camenzuli, H.J. Ritchie, G.R. Dennis, R.A. Shalliker, Reaction flow chromatography for rapid post column derivatisations: The analysis of antioxidants in natural products, J. Chromatogr. A, 1303 (2013) 62
- M. Camenzuli, H.J. Ritchie, J.R. Ladine, R.A. Shalliker, Enhanced separation performance using a new column technology: Parallel segmented outlet flow, J. Chromatogr. A 1232 (2012) 47
- M. Camenzuli, T.A. Goodie, D.N. Bassanese, P.S. Francis, N.W. Barnett, H.R. Ritchie, J. R. Ladine, R.A. Shalliker, X.A. Conlan, The use of parallel segmented outlet flow columns for enhanced mass spectral sensitivity at high chromatographic flow rates, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 26 (2012) 943
- M. Camenzuli, H.J. Ritchie, J.R. Ladine, R.A. Shalliker, The design of a new concept chromatography column, Analyst 136 (2011) 5127
- Camenzuli, M. (2017). The Role of Surface Coverage and Orthogonality Metrics in. LC GC Europe, 30(7), 346-351.
- Astefanei, A., Dapic, I., & Camenzuli, M. (2017). Different Stationary Phase Selectivities and Morphologies for Intact Protein Separations. Chromatographia, 80(5), 665–687. DOI: 10.1007/s10337-016-3168-z [details]
- Pravadali-Cekic, S., Jones, A., Kazarian, A. A., Paull, B., Soliven, A., Ritchie, H., ... Shalliker, R. A. (2017). Postcolumn derivatization of amino acids using reaction flow chromatography columns with fluorescence detection: A fast new approach to selective derivatization techniques. JOURNAL OF LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY RELATED TECHNOLOGIES, 40(2), 83-92. DOI: 10.1080/10826076.2017.1285312
- Canals, F., Elortza, F., Paradela, A., Corthals, G., Camenzuli, M., Muñoz, A., ... Corrales, F. J. (2016). The EuPA Standardization Initiative. EuPA Open Proteomics, 11, 31-32. DOI: 10.1016/j.euprot.2016.03.007
- Jones, A., Pravadali-Cekic, S., Hua, S., Kocic, D., Camenzuli, M., Dennis, G., & Shalliker, A. (2016). Post Column Derivatization Using Reaction Flow High Performance Liquid Chromatography Columns. Journal of Visualized Experiments, (110). DOI: 10.3791/53462
- Camenzuli, M. (2016). Wrangling Orthogonality in Multidimensional Chromatography. The Analytical Scientist.
- Pravadali-Cekic, S., Jones, A., Kazarian, A. A., Paull, B., Soliven, A., Ritchie, H., ... Shalliker, R. A. (2015). Using reaction flow chromatography for the analysis of amino acid: Derivatisation with fluorescamine reagent. Microchemical Journal, 121, 141-149. DOI: 10.1016/j.microc.2015.02.010 [details]
- Camenzuli, M., & Schoenmakers, P. J. (2014). A new measure of orthogonality for multi-dimensional chromatography. Analytica Chimica Acta, 838, 93-101. DOI: 10.1016/j.aca.2014.05.048 [details]
- Selim, M., Soliven, A., Camenzuli, M., Dennis, G. R., Ritchie, H. J., & Shalliker, R. A. (2014). A two-component post-column derivatisation method utilising reaction flow chromatography. Microchemical Journal, 116, 87-91. DOI: 10.1016/j.microc.2014.04.005 [details]
- Camenzuli, M., Koot, S., & Rothenberg, G. (2017). Use of a nitrogen-doped porous carbon material for enriching phosphorylated proteins or peptides (Patent No. 17172844.7.)
- Camenzuli, M., & Shalliker, R. A. (2015). Improving Separation Performance and Detection Capabilities in Liquid Chromatography Using Active Flow Technology: A Review. LC GC Europe, 28(1). [details]
- Camenzuli, M., Dennis, G. R., Ritchie, H. J., & Shalliker, R. A. (2014). Antioxidant screening of beverages using the online HPLC-DPPH* assay incorporating active flow technology chromatography columns. In V. Preedy (Ed.), Processing and impact on antioxidants in beverages (pp. 277-287). Oxford: Academic Press, Elsevier. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-404738-9.00028-3 [details]
- Camenzuli, M. (reviewer) (2017): Chromatographia (Journal).
- No ancillary activities